Tips for Getting in Marathon Shape
Undertaking a marathon or half-marathon is a common goal among fitness lovers. And while it may be obvious that pre-marathon training requires hours of practice running, there are other things you can do to help get in top shape.
1) Don’t just run – Mix in other workout routines, targeting different muscle groups, to supplement your running. This keeps your muscles surprised and helps extend sprinting.
2) Sanitize – There is nothing worse than training for months and then being sick the day of the race. Make sure to carry hand sanitizer and stay hydrated leading up to the marathon to avoid fall sicknesses.
3) Sleep – Hand in hand with sanitizing and remaining healthy is making a concerted effort to get enough sleep. An extra effort to add on some zzz’s to help your body recover will allow you to be fully powered up on the big day.
4) Pre-Day Jogging – The day before the race, most runners tend to skip and save their energy but it is best to do a 15-18-minute jog to help you prepare for the next day. This helps to make sure you don’t have “heavy” legs for the marathon run.
5) Visualize – It may sound silly, but above all else, visualizing yourself crossing the finish line (and making good time) will help you achieve your goal.